This Blog Has Moved

Thursday 23 October 2008

War Exhibition At The Barbican

I had a chance to have a very quick look at the war exhibitions at the Barbican yesterday afternoon. I'll definitely pop back as I only had 30 minutes before the place shut! Must say, that they are all worth a lengthy and thorough visit.

Robert Capa's work was, as always, good to see again. There were a lot of images I hadn't seen though, and some new prints from the recently discovered negatives have been exhibited. There's an interesting section on the "Fallen Soldier" image, as well as some press cards and letters by Capa. My favourite has to be a letter he wrote to his mother and brother after the D-Day landings in which he said "Yesterday I had a bit of an adventure"!! Talk about an under statement!

I found Gerda Taro's work really interesting too. Its such a shame that both Capa and Taro died so early in their careers. It would have been a joy and an education to see life through their cameras.

Geert van Kesteren also had an interesting collection of images worth checking out too.

Check here for some images.

The exhibition is on until 25 January 2009.

Barbican Art Gallery opening times:
Daily 11.00am – 8.00pm 
Except Tue & Wed 11.00am – 6.00pm 
Barbican Art Gallery is open late every Thu until 10pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment